Introduction to Woodwork
In Materials technology wood you will learn to solve problems especially Design problems and a creative and useful way. Your knowledge and skills will be improved and develop through the processing of materials.
- To develop a creative approach to problem solving in the design process through designing, making and evaluating and to promote initiative, enquire and discrimination
- To stimulate the development of a range of manipulative skills through processing wood and other materials.
- To contribute to the development of graphic and other appropriate communication skills
- To promote technological awareness and the exercise of value judgements of an aesthetic, technological and economic nature.
- To encourage self-confidence, enthusiasm and a sense of achievement, through the design and execution involved in practical project work
- To encourage the acquisition of a body of knowledge appropriate to wood craft and technology through analysis, synthesis and realisation.
- To contribute to the pupils appreciation of ecological and environmental factors and use of natural resources.
- Acquire knowledge and understanding of the problems associated with the process of designing.
- Work within imposed of recognised constraints of material, cost, time, resources and skill.
- Derive satisfaction and confidence from designing, making and evaluation projects.
- Acquire knowledge and skills associated with jointing techniques, fasteners, fixtures and adhesives.
- Display appreciation for the character of wood and other materials through appropriate selection and processing.
- Interpret given data and demonstrate graphical and other appropriate communication skills relating to artefact’s or systems using appropriate media
- Plan the production of specifies and non-specified solutions
- Appropriately finish artefact’s in both surface and applied finishes.
- Appreciate the inter-relationship between wood-technology and the environment and technology in general and be aware of relevant technological developments.
- Have a knowledge and appreciation of trees in relation to climate and eco-system and the environment
- Apply safety standards in planning experimenting and making and in the use of hand and powered tools, equipment and materials.
- Practical work in the classroom
- Answer past exam papers
- Practice your portfolio writing
- Studying the Design Process
Useful websites for students
**Columba College Killucan and LWETB are not responsible for the content of third party websites**